- Improve comprehension of the Grafana graphs by including a Description and optional Absolute URL link
Our Grafana graphs are immensely detailed, but often they are mis-understood by our Users. Using Tooltips is an easy way to provide additional clarity for each graph, and to optionally refer to other sources of information to then better comprehend each graph. We're teaching our Users to Fish.
Grafana supports the usage of Tooltips which can help Users better understand graphs. They are composed of two parts that combine into one Tooltip which appears as an at the top left of the graph:
- The Description box (Graph > General > Info > Description) which accepts text. Supports Markdown format.
- The Drilldown / detail link (Graph > General > Drilldown / detail link) which accepts either a Dashboard or Absolute URL. Also takes a TItle. Optionally supports passing parameters along with the URL.
- Build a Proof of Concept using PMM-demo's default dashboard pmm-demo (6 graphs total)
- Research accurate content for each Description box, detailing the values seen in the graph
- Optional: Include recommendations or "what should I do about this if I see ..." information
- For example, CPU > 20% iowait may indicate too slow disk
- For any Drilldowns used: ensure the box "Open in new tab" is selected